Friday, May 13, 2016

Strong Coffee

Friday Freestyle
A Short
5/13/2016

I rise out of bed. It's brisk, if I'm being honest, it's freaking cold. Yawn. I gaze at what I believe is myself, least it's as I've perceived myself in visible reflections my whole life. Wiping the crusty sleep from my eyes, the bed calls my name still warm from my slumber. I glance at her through the mirror, I long for her embrace. The day progresses, as must I.

Sliding on my clothes for the day. Inserting my extremities into the planned holes of the clothing so that it will be of function. Proceeding to fumble for my shoes, the pair that I have not decided on. One foot protected from the treacherous paths of the world, the other soon to receive equal security and protection.

Proceeding out the door. My first objective is to acquire that black bitter brew, coffee. It's too far to walk from my apartment, travel by automobile. Just decided while locking the door.

Dammit. I just put my keys away, just to pull them back out again. Opening the door. Proceed to climb in and slam the door, one fell swoop.

Back it up. Work on the song selection, pulling forward. Knowing it's only a two minute drive, the song sets the mood for the next hour.

Parking lot. Scanning left and right, roughly 100 yards away from the coffee shop. The amount of planning and where I rest my car possesses high importance. A near-perfect spot appears. The car slides in so smoothly. Park. Open the door to step out and slide down.

Proceed to the door. Opens like it should for mid-morning. Several customers stand between my coffee order and my current position. Annoyed. Finally after six minutes of waiting, six minutes filled with me looking at the items in the store. Each item goes through an evaluation of its possible enjoyment, usage, and cost effectiveness. Time allotted lead me to decide on a hesitation.

Standing at the register. Awaiting eye contact and a greeting. I speak my order. Black coffee, no room for cream. Next I respond to the question about my current status on this date. Next comes the hesitation I ordered, the hesitation comes with a pause, a side of a vocal groan, then an ultimate decision to not get a pastry. A bakery item I would later regret and only enjoy because I had exchanged it for earned money.

Baristas make light conversation. Topics include my status over recent days, their status over recent days, and the emphasis on any recent occurrences that either party may find interesting. My coffee is presented for my consumption. Politely I accept, professing my gratitude.

Next moves are planned and then I step to execute. Wall Street Journal. A Source for me to be updated with the latest events and happenings to also fill in their possible implications. Sitting facing the door, my back to a corner. Scanning each article to get the general facts, my eyes flow and drift without any regular pattern.

The doors swings open, as it was intended to do. The doorway is less than halfway filled with a figure, the Sun glares behind them. Warm air and sunshine pour in. Something urges me to look up and inspect the new customer. Eyes focus. They step out of the of blinding passageway proceeding toward the line. I move my eyes with them as they pass. This stranger glances down at me in my chair, an exchange of eye contact followed by smiles traded. It was then I experienced her power.


No comments:

Post a Comment