Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Mourning a Family Member's Death

Wednesday Word
6/15/2016

Mourning


Merriam-Webster:
A great sadness felt because someone has died, period of time during which the signs of grief are shown. 

Quintessential Voyage:

A great pain of someone's death, a pain in which deserves an appropriate response. Grievance is allowed, celebrations are preferred. 

Early Wednesday morning my Grandfather passed away. He was one of the most influential men in making me into a man throughout my childhood. When I received the call around sunrise, I felt a significant sadness in his passing. Later that evening when my Dad and I embraced each other, it was in that moment when the feeling of sorrow was greatest. As all of us Cook guys do, we reacted by reminiscing through hilarious memories and valuable conversations held though out our past with him. 

Mourning is a part of the process of us dealing with the death of a loved one. It's all about how you go about this process. As a young man, I have experienced several deaths of loved ones as we all do. I've learned through observations and experience it's best to rejoice in who they were and those pieces of them that live on through you and your fellow mourners. Cry as needed to wash away the sorrow and the pain. Then speak about them so that they are buried with a cloak of your love and warmth from your heart and smile to express the impact they had on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment