Thursday, September 8, 2016

When You Stop Looking Up to Your Father

Thursday Thought
September 8, 2016

How the relationship between my Dad & I changed, without either of us knowing.


Sounds like something shouldn't have surprised you, right? It did when I realized the course we had took and where we were going. If you may remember, I recently wrote about how my Dad is my best friend. That hasn't changed, and I believe this shift into friendship between us was a key factor in the development of our new relationship.

I'll tell you what happened. I stopped looking up to my Dad. I don't admire him any less, or love him any less. I simply stopped looking up to him as a role model. This shift was gradual and probably took about four or five years to complete its transition. We are two very different men. That's what strengthens our friendships, but we are both similar and different in personality traits. 

When I was about 21, when I was in the mountains of Colorado hiking alone where I would occasionally pause to enjoy a nice view, I had an epiphany. I decided I wanted to become my own man, not a product that continually reproduces itself with each generation. We are different in that I'm outgoing, he's not so much, and that's just one of many off the list. Him and I do share a number of great qualities, but not all of them are the same. 

It took some time before my epiphany really took hold and made itself present in my conscious thoughts. He is a great friend and a wonderful mentor, but I have decided to become my own man. I want to have a different career, live out a different social life, and make decisions based on my own opinions and facts. At this point, I no longer look up to him, but rather I would say we sit eye-to-eye and share in each other's own unique opinions and views. This is where our friendship has its roots based, in our ability to revel in each man's abilities and traits and we appreciate how similar we are while also celebrating our differences. Here's to being a proud son of his, and a my own self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment